Menu

Rurouni Kenshin


Synopsis

Based on popular manga series "Rurouni Kenshin" by Watsuki Nobuhiro. Former legendary assassin Kenshin Himura has now become a wandering samurai. Offerring aid & protecting those in need as atonement for his past deeds. During this time Kenshin Himura comes across and aides Kaoru Kamiya. Her father opened the Kamiya Kasshin-ryu, a kendo school located in Tokyo and Kaoru is now an instructor there. Kaoru then invites Kenshin to stay at her dojo. Their relationship develops further, but Kenshin is still haunted by his violent past... -AsianWiki

My Take

I saw this movie last December three times on the big screen. I know some of you might say that it's a waste of money, but honestly it's money well-spent. Being an otaku in my age, it's nearly impossible to say that  otakus in my age group weren't able to see the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X animated series. I was still in primary school when I first saw the series, and honestly, I don't mind re-watching it again nowadays. It's an all time favorite which I think that the new breed of otakus should be required to watch this as well as other classic animes that I grew up with.

I really love how they were able to reinvent the story of Rurouni Kenshin. I know there are a small number of fans who didn't like how the events of the storyline were chopped up to get to Shinomori Aoshi's/Takani Megumi's arc, but it's to be expected since the start of the anime up to that part is several episodes long and they have to maximize everything in less than 3 hours. The story is reinvented without cutting out the important events and the story progression is done nicely.

One proof to back that statement is that the movie is enjoyable even if some of its viewers haven't been introduced to the Rurouni Kenshin series yet. Like I said, it was nicely done in a way where the movie assumes that the people watching it aren't aware of the course of events that are about to come up. Truthfully, I encountered several pleasant surprises myself while watching the movie even though I already knew what was going to happen. Even my boyfriend's parents watched it and they said it was good.

Takeru Sato as Himura Kenshin was perfectly acted out. I was thoroughly convinced that he really was Kenshin in the movie and he really was in character. When they first announced that Takeru Sato was going to play Kenshin's part, I didn't have any complaints back then since I first saw him act on the Jdrama Mei-chan no Shitsuji. He was quirky, hilarious, and also played his part well; it's no wonder he won Best Supporting Male Actor for that drama. Sato's reversions from Hitokiri Battousai to Kenshin the Wander and vice versa is very flawless and I think that his Kamen Rider days helped him a lot with that. That said, I knew he was going to do very well in acting Kenshin's part.

Emi Takei as Kamiya Kaoru has its positive and negative sides. Firstly, I got to know her when she starred as the female lead in Asuko March! and, to be honest, I didn't really enjoy watching that drama. Takei's role as Kaoru was kind of a disappointment since she wasn't able to get the character perfectly. Yes, I can understand that she did a good job but I really don't remember Kaoru as being that weak.

The Kaoru I know is tomboy-ish and I was kind of frustrated that the movie didn't do her justice; Kaoru can stand on her own (her vs Kamatari Honjo in the Shishio arc) and the Kamiya Kasshin style isn't that weak when it comes to swordplay. I know I sound like an elitist fangirl but there's more to her than meets the eye. Also, I find it funny that Takei as Kaoru is a lot prettier than Megumi Takani.

Speaking of Megumi Takani, Aoi Yu is someone whom I first saw on the drama Tiger and Dragon. I can't really comment on her acting since I haven't finished watching that drama yet, and I'm not that familiar with her acting projects. I don't really find her pretty, personally, so I was kind of disappointed in a way when Kaoru seemed to outshine her in terms of beauty. I am, however, very amused with the "foxy" look her eyebrows gave her, and she did a really good job acting as Megumi.

For the other characters, I am also very impressed with how they were able to portray their roles. Munetaka Aoki as Sanosuke Sagara was fun, especially his fight scene with Banjin Inui aka that monk fighter. Yosuke Eguchi as Hajime Saito is also commendable, although there were really not much fight scenes happening with him and Kenshin. I have to say that I let out a fangirl scream when he did that Gatotsu stance.

Teruyuki Kagawa as Kanryu Takeda was also fun. Though I'm not familiar with his acting projects, I am literally shocked to find out that he purposely set his mouth like that as an added appeal to his role as Kanryu. Lastly, Koji Kikkawa as Udo Jine is really good. It just amazes me how he was able to portray his emotions through his eyes whenever the camera would focus on him.

There are some scenes that I found awkward, like Kaoru's really loooong speech at the end of the movie just when the climax was dying down. I know that that scene is important, but gosh I really felt awkward watching that.

The fight scenes are really pleasing to the eye. I am very, very happy at how fast-paced the action is and how there was minimal slow motion sequences. I really think that one of the reasons why the audience is so charmed with this film (apart from the story line) is that the action scenes really would keep you on the edge of your seat. Watching the choreographed fight scenes felt real and surreal at the same time. The way that they dance around the screen fighting with swords is just too mesmerizing.

I could go on and on about this movie, even if I only got to finish this three months after watching it, but I guess I have to stop. There's still a lot more to mention about this film but all I can say is that it's really that good. The sequels are already confirmed and are already on production. I can't wait and I'm definitely watching those in the movie theaters since I know they'll be worth the money. Aoshi Shinomori appearing soon? Yes, please! (*begging*)

No comments:

Post a Comment